Llantwit Major Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 18.6 °C
Llantwit Major in The Vale of Glamorgan is a fairly exposed beach break that has reasonably consistent surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. Offshore winds are from the northeast. Groundswells and windswells are equally likely and the ideal swell angle is from the southwest. The beach break favours left handers. Surfable at all stages of the tide. It's sometimes crowded here. Beware of rocks, rips and pollution.
For Llantwit Major, 4 km from Llantwit Major.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At St.Athan, 2 km from Llantwit Major.
|light winds from the E|
Severe duststorm, no change
Overall Llantwit Major Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in October
The graph shows the range of swells directed at Llantwit Major over a normal October, b... (show all text)
The rose diagram illustrates how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from differen... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Llantwit Major surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Wales - South East surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Llantwit Major
Visitor Reviews of Llantwit Major
“Llantiwt is an underrated break.
When other local spots have nil surf the topography and tide can kick up some nice waves.
There's a significant rip over the rocky point.
Infamous for its localism things have improved a fair bit over the years but occasionally there's still some tension when it's busy.
On a good day left and right rides can be had simultaneously which shortens the line up wait.
Groms can get wet just off the beach sandy area but waves tend to be dumpy here.
To the left of the sandy area (looking offshore) is the most consistent area. On the right day surf here can reach overhead and it's worth bearing in mind that this dumps onto rock.
Beach is exposed so windy days can spoil the waves.
Local town is very good. Ten mins walk from beach.
Look out for squaddies: there's Paras and Marines barracked nearby (Saint Athan camp) and they do have a habit of kicking off for no good reason.”
KB from UNITED KINGDOM - 16 Mar 2010
Tide stations nearest to Llantwit Major:
- Closest tide stationLlantwit Major2 mi
- Second closest tide stationBarry7 mi
- Third closest tide stationCardiff12 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMinehead12 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationPorthcawl13 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Llantwit Major:
- Closest ski areaAnother World Ski and Snowboard Centre (United Kingdom)178 mi
- Second closest ski areaRaise (United Kingdom)219 mi
- Third closest ski areaWeardale Ski Club (United Kingdom)234 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaHarwood Common (United Kingdom)236 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaYad Moss (United Kingdom)236 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Llantwit Major:
- Closest city locationBarry (United Kingdom)6 mi
- Second closest city locationCoity (United Kingdom)11 mi
- Third closest city locationCardiff (United Kingdom)12 mi
- Fourth closest city locationPontypridd (United Kingdom)16 mi
- Fifth closest city locationCaerphilly (United Kingdom)17 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Llantwit Major is Cardiff Airport (CWL) in Wales, 7 km (4 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Llantwit Major is Swansea Airport (SWS), also in Wales, 50 km (31 miles) away.
- Third is Bristol Airport (BRS) in England, 50 km (31 miles) away.
- Bristol Filton Airport (FZO) in England is 61 km (38 miles) away.
- Yeovilton Airport (YEO) in U.k. is the fifth nearest airport to Llantwit Major and is 70 km (43 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Llantwit Major, Wales - South East. Use the tab navigation above to view Llantwit Major sea temperature, Llantwit Major photographs, Llantwit Major detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Llantwit Major webcams, current wind from Wales - South East live weather stations and Llantwit Major tide predictions. The United Kingdom swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United Kingdom and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United Kingdom wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Llantwit Major.