Karitane Point Spot ID
Photo credit: Maurice Ellis
Best: Swell NNE | Wind SSW
Sea Temperature Today is: 10.6 °C
Karitane Point in Otago is an exposed point break that does not work very often with no particular seasonal pattern. The best wind direction is from the south southwest. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the optimum swell angle is from the north northeast. Best around high tide. Rarely crowded here. Take care of sharks/rips.
Overall Karitane Point Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The figure illustrates the combination of swells directed at Karitane Point through an ... (show all text)
This chart describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direction... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Karitane Point surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Otago surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Karitane Point
Visitor Reviews of Karitane Point
“Good wave, when solid it has a couple of staunch local boys. Good guys if you're not an asshole. Pick up your rubbish respect the area and locals and you will have a good day.”
mata kino from NEW ZEALAND - 28 Nov 2013
Tide stations nearest to Karitane Point:
- Closest tide stationOtago Harbour Entrance10 mi
- Second closest tide stationPort Chalmers12 mi
- Third closest tide stationDunedin19 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationOamaru39 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationNugget Point70 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Karitane Point:
- Closest ski areaAwakino Ski Area62 mi
- Second closest ski areaSnow Park/Snow Farm94 mi
- Third closest ski areaSnow Park94 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaCardrona98 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaRemarkables99 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Karitane Point:
- Closest city locationDunedin18 mi
- Second closest city locationTimaru90 mi
- Third closest city locationInvercargill124 mi
- Fourth closest city locationChristchurch175 mi
- Fifth closest city locationNelson328 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Karitane Point is Dunedin Airport (DUD) in New Zealand, 49 km (30 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Karitane Point is Oamaru Airport (OAM), also in New Zealand, 81 km (50 miles) away.
- Third is Alexandra Airport (ALR) in New Zealand, 112 km (70 miles) away.
- Wanaka Airport (WKA) in New Zealand is 152 km (94 miles) away.
- Timaru Airport (TIU), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Karitane Point and is 155 km (96 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Karitane Point, Otago. Use the tab navigation above to view Karitane Point sea temperature, Karitane Point photographs, Karitane Point detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Karitane Point webcams, current wind from Otago live weather stations and Karitane Point tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Karitane Point.