Kaalualu Point Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SE | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 26.9 °C
Kaalualu Point in Big Island is an exposed reef break that has reasonably consistent surf. Summer offers the optimum conditions for surfing. Works best in offshore winds from the northwest with some shelter here from northeast winds. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell angle is from the southeast. There is a left breaking reef. Beware of urchins, rips, rocks and locals.
Overall Kaalualu Point Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in November
The rose diagram shows the variation of swells directed at Kaalualu Point through an av... (show all text)
This picture illustrates how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different ... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Kaalualu Point surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to HAW - Big Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Kaalualu Point
Visitor Reviews of Kaalualu Point
“Kaalualu Point is an epic spot, small fickle but great waves for all skill levels. Wind blew side off all day for three days and the swell went from overhead to shoulder high with the tides. My new favorite spot on the Big Island. Lots of variety, and almost nobody anywhere to be seen. Glad to see a couple of surfers show up. Stark beauty.”
super from UNITED STATES - 30 Jun 2010
Tide stations nearest to Kaalualu Point:
- Closest tide stationHonuapo Island12 mi
- Second closest tide stationNapoopoo, Kealakekua Bay Island41 mi
- Third closest tide stationHolualoa52 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationKailua Kona, Big Island54 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationHawaiian Paradise Park63 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Kaalualu Point:
- Closest ski areaMt Ashland (United States)2507 mi
- Second closest ski areaMt Shasta (United States)2508 mi
- Third closest ski areaStover Mountain Ski Area (United States)2514 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaDodge Ridge (United States)2521 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaBadger Pass Ski Area (United States)2523 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Kaalualu Point:
- Closest city locationHilo (United States)65 mi
- Second closest city locationKahului (United States)145 mi
- Third closest city locationHonolulu (United States)218 mi
- Fourth closest city locationKailua (United States)218 mi
- Fifth closest city locationKane'ohe (United States)221 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Kaalualu Point is Bradshaw Aaf Airport (BSF) in Usa Hawaii Isl., 92 km (57 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Kaalualu Point is Kona International At Keahole Airport (KOA), also in Usa Hawaii Isl., 99 km (61 miles) away.
- Third is Hilo International Airport (ITO) in Usa Hawaii Isl., 108 km (67 miles) away.
- Waimea Kohala (Kamuela) Airport (MUE) in Usa Hawaii Isl. is 119 km (74 miles) away.
- Upolu (Opolu) Airport (UPP) in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Kaalualu Point and is 150 km (93 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Kaalualu Point, HAW - Big Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Kaalualu Point sea temperature, Kaalualu Point photographs, Kaalualu Point detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Kaalualu Point webcams, current wind from HAW - Big Island live weather stations and Kaalualu Point tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Kaalualu Point.