Jones Beach Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SSE | Wind N
Sea Temperature Today is: 19.8 °C
Jones Beach in Long Island New Yorkis a beach break that has reasonably consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the north. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the south southeast. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Often Crowded. Hazards include - Localism.
For East Rockaway Inlet, Long Island, New York, 1 km from Jones Beach.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At New York City/JFK Airport, 6 km from Jones Beach.
|light winds from the SE|
At New York Harbour Buoy, 15 miles from Jones Beach.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||8||7||7||8|
Overall Jones Beach Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The figure shows the range of swells directed at Jones Beach through a typical June, ba... (show all text)
This chart illustrates how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Jones Beach surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Long Island NY surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Jones Beach
Tide stations nearest to Jones Beach:
- Closest tide stationEast Rockaway Inlet, Long Island1 mi
- Second closest tide stationMotts Basin, Long Island2 mi
- Third closest tide stationWoodmere, Brosewere Bay, Long Island3 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationJFK International Airport, Queens4 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationNorton Point, Head of Bay, Long Island4 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Jones Beach:
- Closest ski areaCampgaw Mountain40 mi
- Second closest ski areaTuxedo Ridge Ski Center46 mi
- Third closest ski areaSterling Forest Ski Center52 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaMt Peter Ski Area57 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaHidden Valley Club58 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Jones Beach:
- Closest city locationLong Beach4 mi
- Second closest city locationJohn F Kennedy International Airport4 mi
- Third closest city locationValley Stream6 mi
- Fourth closest city locationOceanside6 mi
- Fifth closest city locationElmont8 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Jones Beach is John F Kennedy International (New York) Airport (JFK) in USA, 7 km (4 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Jones Beach is La Guardia (New York) Airport (LGA), also in USA, 24 km (15 miles) away.
- Third is Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) in USA, 39 km (24 miles) away.
- Teterboro Airport (TEB) in USA is 40 km (25 miles) away.
- Westchester Co (White Plains) Airport (HPN), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Jones Beach and is 54 km (34 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Jones Beach, Long Island NY. Use the tab navigation above to view Jones Beach sea temperature, Jones Beach photographs, Jones Beach detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Jones Beach webcams, current wind from Long Island NY live weather stations and Jones Beach tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Jones Beach.