Jacks Point Spot ID
Photo credit: Rob Davies
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell ENE | Wind W
Sea Temperature Today is: 10.8 °C
Jacks Point in S Canterbury is an exposed reef break that has quite reliable surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the west. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the ideal swell angle is from the east northeast. There are left and right breaking reefs. Best around high tide. Sometimes crowded. Watch out for rips, rocks, locals and sharks.
Overall Jacks Point Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The rose diagram illustrates the combination of swells directed at Jacks Point through ... (show all text)
This picture describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Jacks Point surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Canterbury surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Jacks Point
Visitor Reviews of Jacks Point
“Great wave, just watch out for bull kelp, rocks and local clarey with one ball who doen't know much about surf culture and who has right of way on a wave !”
ric from NEW ZEALAND - 26 Dec 2010
Tide stations nearest to Jacks Point:
- Closest tide stationTimaru Harbour2 mi
- Second closest tide stationOamaru49 mi
- Third closest tide stationLyttelton93 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationAkaroa93 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationChristchurch93 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Jacks Point:
- Closest ski areaMount Dobson44 mi
- Second closest ski areaFox Peak48 mi
- Third closest ski areaAwakino Ski Area52 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaRoundhill52 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaMount Hutt65 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Jacks Point:
- Closest city locationTimaru2 mi
- Second closest city locationChristchurch93 mi
- Third closest city locationDunedin106 mi
- Fourth closest city locationInvercargill197 mi
- Fifth closest city locationNelson241 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Jacks Point is Timaru Airport (TIU) in New Zealand, 15 km (9 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Jacks Point is Oamaru Airport (OAM), also in New Zealand, 61 km (38 miles) away.
- Third is Glentanner Airport (MON) in New Zealand, 107 km (66 miles) away.
- Mount Cook Airport (GTN) in New Zealand is 117 km (73 miles) away.
- Christchurch International Airport (CHC), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Jacks Point and is 146 km (91 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Jacks Point, Canterbury. Use the tab navigation above to view Jacks Point sea temperature, Jacks Point photographs, Jacks Point detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Jacks Point webcams, current wind from Canterbury live weather stations and Jacks Point tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Jacks Point.