Isla Vista Spot ID
Type: beach and reef
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell W | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 20.6 °C
Isla Vista in Santa Barbara is a fairly exposed beach and reef break that has fairly consistent surf. Winter is the best time of year for surfing here. Works best in offshore winds from the northeast. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the best swell direction is from the west. The beach break offers both left and right hand waves. Best around low tide. Often Crowded. Submerged rocks are a hazard.
Overall Isla Vista Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in October
The rose diagram shows the range of swells directed at Isla Vista over a normal October... (show all text)
This picture illustrates how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Isla Vista surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - Santa Barbara surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Isla Vista
- The closest passenger airport to Isla Vista is Vandenberg Afb (Lompoc) Airport (VBG) in USA, 74 km (46 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Isla Vista is Point Mugu Nas Airport (NTD), also in USA, 76 km (47 miles) away.
- Third is Meadows Fld (Bakersfield) Airport (BFL) in USA, 136 km (84 miles) away.
- Burbank Glendale Pasadena Airport (BUR) in USA is 140 km (87 miles) away.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Isla Vista and is 144 km (89 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Isla Vista, CAL - Santa Barbara. Use the tab navigation above to view Isla Vista sea temperature, Isla Vista photographs, Isla Vista detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Isla Vista webcams, current wind from CAL - Santa Barbara live weather stations and Isla Vista tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Isla Vista.