Isla Vista Spot ID
Type: beach and reef
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell W | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 18.4 °C
Isla Vista in Santa Barbara is a fairly exposed beach and reef break that has fairly consistent surf. Winter is the best time of year for surfing here. Works best in offshore winds from the northeast. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the best swell direction is from the west. The beach break offers both left and right hand waves. Best around low tide. Often Crowded. Submerged rocks are a hazard.
For Isla Vista, 1 km from Isla Vista.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Santa Barbara Airport, 3 km from Isla Vista.
|light winds from the ESE|
Mist dry and cloudy
At East Santa Barbara Buoy, 11 miles from Isla Vista.
|Data Age||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr||0 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
Overall Isla Vista Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The graph describes the combination of swells directed at Isla Vista through an average... (show all text)
The rose diagram shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Isla Vista surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - Santa Barbara surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Isla Vista
Tide stations nearest to Isla Vista:
- Closest tide stationIsla Vista1 mi
- Second closest tide stationGoleta3 mi
- Third closest tide stationSanta Barbara11 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMontecito14 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationCarpinteria20 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Isla Vista:
- Closest ski areaAlta Sierra at Shirley Meadows116 mi
- Second closest ski areaMt Baldy124 mi
- Third closest ski areaSunrise Ski Area124 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaMountain High resort125 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSnow Valley162 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Isla Vista:
- Closest city locationGoleta3 mi
- Second closest city locationSanta Barbara9 mi
- Third closest city locationVentura36 mi
- Fourth closest city locationLompoc37 mi
- Fifth closest city locationOxnard Shores39 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Isla Vista is Vandenberg Afb (Lompoc) Airport (VBG) in USA, 74 km (46 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Isla Vista is Point Mugu Nas Airport (NTD), also in USA, 76 km (47 miles) away.
- Third is Meadows Fld (Bakersfield) Airport (BFL) in USA, 136 km (84 miles) away.
- Burbank Glendale Pasadena Airport (BUR) in USA is 140 km (87 miles) away.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Isla Vista and is 144 km (89 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Isla Vista, CAL - Santa Barbara. Use the tab navigation above to view Isla Vista sea temperature, Isla Vista photographs, Isla Vista detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Isla Vista webcams, current wind from CAL - Santa Barbara live weather stations and Isla Vista tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Isla Vista.