Horace Caldwell Pier Spot ID
Photo credit: Paul Kaderli
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SE | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 29.4 °C
Horace Caldwell Pier in Texas is a quite exposed beach/Pier break that has reasonably consistent surf. The optimum conditions for surfing are during the hurricane season. The best wind direction is from the northwest. Waves more likely to be from local windswells than distant groundswells and the ideal wave direction is from the southeast. The beach breaks offer lefts and rights. The quality of the surf isn't affected by the tide. When it's working here, it can get crowded. Beware of rips, obstacles, sharks and jellyfish.
For Aransas Channel, Texas, 1 km from Horace Caldwell Pier.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At BUOY-MIST2, 1 km from Horace Caldwell Pier.
|moderate winds from the ENE|
At Corpus Christi Buoy, 63 miles from Horace Caldwell Pier.
|Data Age||5 hr||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||6||6||5||6|
Overall Horace Caldwell Pier Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
This picture describes the range of swells directed at Horace Caldwell Pier through a t... (show all text)
The figure shows how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directions... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Horace Caldwell Pier surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Texas surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Horace Caldwell Pier
Visitor Reviews of Horace Caldwell Pier
“Caldwell is the easiest break on Padre Island. On a good day you may have to combat the current at the pier, and you will have to paddle a good ways past the pier for the best waves but the waves are easier to catch, duck dive and ride than any other spot on the island. Superb location for beginners; the waves don't barrel and you can ride multiple sections of face/whitewater across three sandbars.
The biggest problem is catching it on a good day. Winter is the best time to surf, followed by spring. From May until October it is relatively flat with the only exception being the occasional tropical storm or windswell. The pier closes during storms, which is a plus. They leave the gate open for surfers to jump off the pier; excellent for bigger days. And for the record the pier serves the best burgers in Texas. Not to mention you can add a boiled crab to your order for $3.”
Orchard from UNITED STATES - 10 Mar 2010
Tide stations nearest to Horace Caldwell Pier:
- Closest tide stationAransas Channel1 mi
- Second closest tide stationPort Aransas, Holiday Beach1 mi
- Third closest tide stationPort Aransas2 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationAransas Pass8 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationPort Ingleside, Corpus Christi Bay10 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Horace Caldwell Pier:
- Closest ski areaSki Apache633 mi
- Second closest ski areaSandia Peak751 mi
- Third closest ski areaSki Santa Fe751 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSipapu Ski and Summer Resort761 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaAngel Fire Resort762 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Horace Caldwell Pier:
- Closest city locationCorpus Christi22 mi
- Second closest city locationKingsville55 mi
- Third closest city locationVictoria67 mi
- Fourth closest city locationHarlingen121 mi
- Fifth closest city locationEdinburg126 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Horace Caldwell Pier is Corpus Christi International Airport (CRP) in USA, 45 km (28 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Horace Caldwell Pier is Kingsville Nas Airport (NQI), also in USA, 84 km (52 miles) away.
- Third is Alice International Airport (ALI) in USA, 97 km (60 miles) away.
- Palacios Muni Airport (PSX) in USA is 126 km (78 miles) away.
- Valley International (Harlingen) Airport (HRL), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Horace Caldwell Pier and is 189 km (117 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Horace Caldwell Pier, Texas. Use the tab navigation above to view Horace Caldwell Pier sea temperature, Horace Caldwell Pier photographs, Horace Caldwell Pier detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Horace Caldwell Pier webcams, current wind from Texas live weather stations and Horace Caldwell Pier tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Horace Caldwell Pier.