Hammerhead Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell S | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 30.2 °C
Hammerhead in Nayarit is a quite exposed beach break that has quite consistent surf. Summer offers the favoured conditions for surfing. Works best in offshore winds from the northwest. Clean groundswells prevail and the ideal swell direction is from the south. The beach break provides left and right handers. Rarely crowded here. Hazards include rips, sharks and rocks.
Overall Hammerhead Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The rose diagram shows the combination of swells directed at Hammerhead over a normal J... (show all text)
This picture illustrates how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direc... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Hammerhead surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Nayarit surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Hammerhead
Visitor Reviews of Hammerhead
“Only a handful of world class surfers have surfed this right hander, reef break. When you are sitting out in the lineup facing East, the sun is rising in your eyes (think about that). Locals know this place as Caballos which means horses. It's on the map and actually, Caballos is a offshore reef about 400 yards from where who ever named this place hammerheads (never seen one) is supposedly located.
This break is situated on the East Cape of the island of Magnalena the Southern third island. The Tres Marias, Chain of islands located 70miles offshore of Narait which houses a 100yr old colonial style prison, where nowadays, they no longer have low risk prisoners (Madre). They are tougher and stricter when it comes to invading federal space. You can expect to be mugged shot for the records. No more slaps on the hand.
This place is one of the last places in the warm water North Americas where a world class wave breaks virtually unridden. Offshore predominantly NW 70 percent of the time. Water so clear the foam is blue, animals that are not accustomed to mankind. June through September expect the unexpected in weather. Surf can be 1 foot overhead when the coast of Nayarit is virtually flat. Surf can reach epic proportions, tow in size..I have personally been in the water at this break more than just a few times when it was at least 15 foot AND 20 plus at Caballos. I have seen it on big souths, Caballos (An offshore "A" frame) folding over at 20 foot plus, offshore spray trailing 300 feet in the air behind these giants (This has to be where the name comes from) looks like a herd of horses galloping with their manes flying in the wind behind them, and it looks just like that. Breath taking to say the least. This is the treasure of treasures when the souths are working. Once in a life time deal, difficult at best to reach...surfs always up when showing on the coast as a south swell. How you are going to get out there? That's another story in itself. Later.”
JRM from MEXICO - 12 Apr 2012
Tide stations nearest to Hammerhead:
- Closest tide stationSan Blas63 mi
- Second closest tide stationBucerias69 mi
- Third closest tide stationPuerto Vallarta79 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationIsla del Bosque103 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationMazatlan132 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Hammerhead:
- Closest ski areaMt Lemmon Ski Valley (United States)820 mi
- Second closest ski areaSki Apache (United States)831 mi
- Third closest ski areaSunrise Park Resort (United States)900 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSandia Peak (United States)962 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSki Santa Fe (United States)993 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Hammerhead:
- Closest city locationPuerto Vallarta79 mi
- Second closest city locationTepic89 mi
- Third closest city locationEscuinapa de Hidalgo111 mi
- Fourth closest city locationMazatlan132 mi
- Fifth closest city locationAmeca150 mi
- The nearest passenger airport to Hammerhead is Licenciado Gustavo Diaz Ordaz International (Puerto Vallarta) Airport (PVR) in Mexico, which is 122 km (76 miles) away (directly).
- The second closest airport to Hammerhead is Tepic Airport (TPQ), also in Mexico, 144 km (89 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Hammerhead, Nayarit. Use the tab navigation above to view Hammerhead sea temperature, Hammerhead photographs, Hammerhead detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Hammerhead webcams, current wind from Nayarit live weather stations and Hammerhead tide predictions. The Mexico swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Mexico and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Mexico wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Hammerhead.