Hakalau Spot ID
Photo credit: Devera
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell ENE | Wind WSW
Sea Temperature Today is: 26.5 °C
Hakalau in Big Islandis a river break that has quite reliable surf. Winter is the optimum time of year for surfing here. The best wind direction is from the west southwest. Groundswells are more common than windswells and the best swell direction is from the east northeast. When it's working here, it can get crowded. Beware of - Rips / undertow - Rocks - Man-made danger (buoys etc.) - Localism - Pollution - Sharks.
Overall Hakalau Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
The figure describes the combination of swells directed at Hakalau through an average J... (show all text)
This chart shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions ov... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Hakalau surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to HAW - Big Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Hakalau
- The closest passenger airport to Hakalau is Hilo International Airport (ITO) in Usa Hawaii Isl., 22 km (14 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Hakalau is Bradshaw Aaf Airport (BSF), also in Usa Hawaii Isl., 47 km (29 miles) away.
- Third is Waimea Kohala (Kamuela) Airport (MUE) in Usa Hawaii Isl., 58 km (36 miles) away.
- Upolu (Opolu) Airport (UPP) in USA is 87 km (54 miles) away.
- Kona International At Keahole Airport (KOA) in Usa Hawaii Isl. is the fifth nearest airport to Hakalau and is 98 km (61 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Hakalau, HAW - Big Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Hakalau sea temperature, Hakalau photographs, Hakalau detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Hakalau webcams, current wind from HAW - Big Island live weather stations and Hakalau tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Hakalau.