Grotta Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell W | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 4.0 °C
Grotta in Reykjanes Peninsula is an exposed reef break that has quite reliable surf and can work at any time of the year. Offshore winds blow from the east and there is no shelter here from cross shore breezes. Windswells and groundswells in equal measure and the ideal swell angle is from the west. There is no reef break. The location means that it never gets crowded. Dangerous rips are a hazard of surfing here.
Overall Grotta Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in February
The figure describes the range of swells directed at Grotta through a typical February,... (show all text)
This chart shows how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directions... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Grotta surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Reykjanes Peninsula surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Grotta
- The closest passenger airport to Grotta is Reykjavik Airport (RKV) in Iceland, 6 km (4 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Grotta is Keflavik Nas Airport (KEF), also in Iceland, 35 km (22 miles) away.
- Third is Vestmannaeyjar Airport (VEY) in Iceland, 119 km (74 miles) away.
- Patreksfjordur Airport (PFJ) in Iceland is 180 km (112 miles) away.
- Isafjordur Airport (IFJ), also in Iceland is the fifth nearest airport to Grotta and is 217 km (135 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Grotta, Reykjanes Peninsula. Use the tab navigation above to view Grotta sea temperature, Grotta photographs, Grotta detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Grotta webcams, current wind from Reykjanes Peninsula live weather stations and Grotta tide predictions. The Iceland swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Iceland and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Iceland wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Grotta.