Grotta Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell W | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 5.6 °C
Grotta in Reykjanes Peninsula is an exposed reef break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Offshore winds are from the east and there is no shelter here from cross shore breezes. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell angle is from the west. There is no reef break. A remote wave spot that never gets crowded. Take care of the strong rips here.
Overall Grotta Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in April
This picture illustrates the combination of swells directed at Grotta over a normal Apr... (show all text)
The figure describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direction... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Grotta surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Reykjanes Peninsula surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Grotta
- The closest passenger airport to Grotta is Reykjavik Airport (RKV) in Iceland, 6 km (4 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Grotta is Keflavik Nas Airport (KEF), also in Iceland, 35 km (22 miles) away.
- Third is Vestmannaeyjar Airport (VEY) in Iceland, 119 km (74 miles) away.
- Patreksfjordur Airport (PFJ) in Iceland is 180 km (112 miles) away.
- Isafjordur Airport (IFJ), also in Iceland is the fifth nearest airport to Grotta and is 217 km (135 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Grotta, Reykjanes Peninsula. Use the tab navigation above to view Grotta sea temperature, Grotta photographs, Grotta detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Grotta webcams, current wind from Reykjanes Peninsula live weather stations and Grotta tide predictions. The Iceland swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Iceland and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Iceland wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Grotta.