Grotta Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell W | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 11.3 °C
Grotta in Reykjanes Peninsula is an exposed reef break that has quite reliable surf and can work at any time of the year. Offshore winds are from the east and there is no shelter here from cross shore breezes. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the ideal swell angle is from the west. No reef break here. Even when the surf is up, crowds are unknown. Watch out for dangerous rips.
Overall Grotta Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
The graph describes the variation of swells directed at Grotta through a typical July a... (show all text)
The rose diagram shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Grotta surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Reykjanes Peninsula surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Grotta
Visitor Reviews of Grotta
Tide stations nearest to Grotta:
- Closest tide stationReykjavik3 mi
- Second closest tide stationHafnarfjordur7 mi
- Third closest tide stationMosfellsbaer10 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationAkranes11 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationSandgeroi16 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Grotta:
- Closest ski areaBlafjoll (Iceland)14 mi
- Second closest ski areaSnjofell (Iceland)94 mi
- Third closest ski areaKerlingarfjoll (Iceland)94 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaAkureyri (Iceland)152 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaNevis Range (United Kingdom)765 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Grotta:
- Closest city locationReykjavik (Iceland)2 mi
- Second closest city locationKopavogur (Iceland)5 mi
- Third closest city locationInverness (United Kingdom)754 mi
- Fourth closest city locationSpittal of Glenshee (United Kingdom)805 mi
- Fifth closest city locationDerry (United Kingdom)812 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Grotta is Reykjavik Airport (RKV) in Iceland, 6 km (4 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Grotta is Keflavik Nas Airport (KEF), also in Iceland, 35 km (22 miles) away.
- Third is Vestmannaeyjar Airport (VEY) in Iceland, 119 km (74 miles) away.
- Patreksfjordur Airport (PFJ) in Iceland is 180 km (112 miles) away.
- Isafjordur Airport (IFJ), also in Iceland is the fifth nearest airport to Grotta and is 217 km (135 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Grotta, Reykjanes Peninsula. Use the tab navigation above to view Grotta sea temperature, Grotta photographs, Grotta detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Grotta webcams, current wind from Reykjanes Peninsula live weather stations and Grotta tide predictions. The Iceland swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Iceland and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Iceland wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Grotta.