Gansbaai Spot ID
Best: Swell SW | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 16.7 °C
Gansbaai in Boland and Southern Cape is a fairly exposed reef break that only works once in a while. Winter is the favoured time of year for surfing here. Offshore winds are from the east. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the southwest. There are left and right breaking reefs. Rarely crowded here. Beware of rocks,kelp.
Overall Gansbaai Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in November
This picture illustrates the combination of swells directed at Gansbaai through a typic... (show all text)
The figure describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different direction... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Gansbaai surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Overberg surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Gansbaai
Tide stations nearest to Gansbaai:
- Closest tide stationHermanus14 mi
- Second closest tide stationKhayelitsha53 mi
- Third closest tide stationCape Town71 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationSaldanha135 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationMosselbaai163 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Gansbaai:
- Closest ski areaMatroosberg (South Africa)86 mi
- Second closest ski areaTiffindell (South Africa)568 mi
- Third closest ski areaAfri-Ski (Lesotho)681 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaCerro Castor (Argentina)4268 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaCerro Mirador (Chile)4426 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Gansbaai:
- Closest city locationHermanus (South Africa)14 mi
- Second closest city locationGrabouw (South Africa)35 mi
- Third closest city locationStellenbosch (South Africa)53 mi
- Fourth closest city locationCape Town (South Africa)67 mi
- Fifth closest city locationWorcester (South Africa)68 mi
- The nearest passenger airport to Gansbaai is Cape Town International Airport (CPT) in South Africa, which is 97 km (60 miles) away (directly).
- The second closest airport to Gansbaai is Oudtshoorn Airport (DUH), also in South Africa, 285 km (177 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Gansbaai, Overberg. Use the tab navigation above to view Gansbaai sea temperature, Gansbaai photographs, Gansbaai detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Gansbaai webcams, current wind from Overberg live weather stations and Gansbaai tide predictions. The South Africa swell maps link will open up the big picture showing South Africa and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from South Africa wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Gansbaai.