Foxton Beach Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell WNW | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 12.2 °C
Foxton Beach in Wanganui-Manawatu is a fairly exposed beach break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Ideal winds are from the east. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the west northwest. The beach breaks offer lefts and rights. Rarely crowded here.
Overall Foxton Beach Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in August
The graph describes the variation of swells directed at Foxton Beach over a normal Augu... (show all text)
The rose diagram shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Foxton Beach surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Wanganui-Manawatu surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Foxton Beach
Visitor Reviews of Foxton Beach
“I see pretty much all the comments say this is a crap place for surfing which is true, it's pretty polluted too being at the mouth of one of the worst polluted rivers in NZ and I know of several people getting pretty sick with gastroenteritis bugs after swimming at this beach. The ocean water is generally a dirty brown for the vast majority of the year due to this disgusting river.
There are also several comments for and against the carpark localism. I have witnessed both sides, the friendly people and the angry youths who think they own the entire planet on the weekends. The carpark is a drinking and burnout pad in the summer evenings, the cops are based in Levin at that time of the night and take at least 30 minutes to attend a call out to the beach. The local policeman is great, but he's one guy and not able to police 24/7. I would think a complete alcohol ban (rather than new years eve and Guy Fawkes night) and speed bumps placed strategically throughout the entire carpark would curb these bad behaviors. Most other beach carparks have these things already in place. I have seen idiots on the turps being abusive and playing loud offensive music in front of families trying to eat their fish and chips peacefully watching the sunset. And I know of two people who have had their cars tampered with while out walking.
To be honest the bad stories are what puts people off coming back to a place even if they happen only rarely.”
Dan Kane from NEW ZEALAND - 20 Jun 2015
Tide stations nearest to Foxton Beach:
- Closest tide stationManawatu River Entrance0 mi
- Second closest tide stationOtaki21 mi
- Third closest tide stationParaparaumu33 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationWanganui38 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationWhanganui River Entrance38 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Foxton Beach:
- Closest ski areaTuroa (New Zealand)81 mi
- Second closest ski areaTukino (New Zealand)85 mi
- Third closest ski areaWhakapapa (New Zealand)88 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaManganui (New Zealand)100 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaRainbow (New Zealand)157 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Foxton Beach:
- Closest city locationPalmerston North (New Zealand)22 mi
- Second closest city locationParaparaumu (New Zealand)33 mi
- Third closest city locationWanganui (New Zealand)38 mi
- Fourth closest city locationUpper Hutt (New Zealand)47 mi
- Fifth closest city locationPorirua (New Zealand)50 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Foxton Beach is Palmerston North Airport (PMR) in New Zealand, 38 km (24 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Foxton Beach is Paraparaumu Airport (PPQ), also in New Zealand, 52 km (32 miles) away.
- Third is Wanganui Airport (WAG) in New Zealand, 58 km (36 miles) away.
- Masterton Airport (MRO) in New Zealand is 66 km (41 miles) away.
- Wellington International Airport (WLG), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Foxton Beach and is 102 km (63 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Foxton Beach, Wanganui-Manawatu. Use the tab navigation above to view Foxton Beach sea temperature, Foxton Beach photographs, Foxton Beach detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Foxton Beach webcams, current wind from Wanganui-Manawatu live weather stations and Foxton Beach tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Foxton Beach.