Crab Island Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind N
Sea Temperature Today is: 17.4 °C
Crab Island on Gower is a fairly exposed point break that has quite reliable surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. The best wind direction is from the north. Groundswells more frequent than windswells and the ideal swell direction is from the southwest. No beach break here Best around low tide. When it's working here, it can get crowded. Take care to avoid the rocks.
For Mumbles, Wales, 3 km from Crab Island.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Mumbles, 2 km from Crab Island.
|light winds from the NW|
At Pembroke Buoy, 47 miles from Crab Island.
|Data Age||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr||0 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Average period (s)||4||4||4||4|
Overall Crab Island Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in September
This chart describes the range of swells directed at Crab Island over a normal Septembe... (show all text)
This image shows how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directions... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Crab Island surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Wales - Gower surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Crab Island
Visitor Reviews of Crab Island
“Check your info !
The video and picture are re Crab Island in Ireland not S Wales!
Clues: The accent in the video is Irish and the water isn't as cloudy.
[Editors comments: fixed in database]”
Andy3D from UNITED KINGDOM - 20 Jan 2012
Tide stations nearest to Crab Island:
- Closest tide stationMumbles2 mi
- Second closest tide stationSwansea6 mi
- Third closest tide stationBriton Ferry9 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationLlanelli10 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationNeath11 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Crab Island:
- Closest ski areaAnother World Ski and Snowboard Centre (United Kingdom)177 mi
- Second closest ski areaRaise (United Kingdom)210 mi
- Third closest ski areaWeardale Ski Club (United Kingdom)229 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaYad Moss (United Kingdom)229 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaHarwood Common (United Kingdom)230 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Crab Island:
- Closest city locationSwansea (United Kingdom)5 mi
- Second closest city locationBriton Ferry (United Kingdom)9 mi
- Third closest city locationLlanelli (United Kingdom)10 mi
- Fourth closest city locationNeath (United Kingdom)11 mi
- Fifth closest city locationCoity (United Kingdom)20 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Crab Island is Swansea Airport (SWS) in Wales, 6 km (4 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Crab Island is Cardiff Airport (CWL), also in Wales, 49 km (30 miles) away.
- Third is Bristol Airport (BRS) in England, 91 km (57 miles) away.
- Bristol Filton Airport (FZO) in England is 98 km (61 miles) away.
- Exeter Airport (EXT), also in England is the fifth nearest airport to Crab Island and is 101 km (63 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Crab Island, Wales - Gower. Use the tab navigation above to view Crab Island sea temperature, Crab Island photographs, Crab Island detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Crab Island webcams, current wind from Wales - Gower live weather stations and Crab Island tide predictions. The United Kingdom swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United Kingdom and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United Kingdom wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Crab Island.