Cowries Spot ID
Type: reef and point
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell ENE | Wind WSW
Sea Temperature Today is: 20.3 °C
Cowries on the South Coast is a quite exposed reef and point break that has quite reliable surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. The best wind direction is from the southwest. Groundswells and windswells are equally likely and the ideal swell direction is from the southeast. A right hand reef break Best around mid tide when the tide is rising. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water. Watch out for urchins, rocks and locals.
Overall Cowries Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in October
This picture illustrates the variation of swells directed at Cowries over a normal Octo... (show all text)
The figure describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Cowries surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to NSW - Illawarra surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Cowries
- The closest passenger airport to Cowries is Camden Airport (CDU) in Australia, 62 km (39 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Cowries is Sydney Bankstown Airport (BWU), also in Australia, 74 km (46 miles) away.
- Third is Kingsford Smith International Airport (Sydney) Airport (SYD) in Australia, 76 km (47 miles) away.
- Richmond Airport (RCM) in Australia is 109 km (68 miles) away.
- Canberra Airport (CBR), also in Australia is the fifth nearest airport to Cowries and is 173 km (107 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Cowries, NSW - Illawarra. Use the tab navigation above to view Cowries sea temperature, Cowries photographs, Cowries detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Cowries webcams, current wind from NSW - Illawarra live weather stations and Cowries tide predictions. The Australia swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Australia and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Australia wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Cowries.