Cowries Spot ID
Type: reef and point
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SE | Wind SW
Sea Temperature Today is: 18.9 °C
Cowries on the South Coast is a quite exposed reef and point break that has quite reliable surf, although summer tends to be mostly flat. The best wind direction is from the southwest. Groundswells and windswells are equally likely and the ideal swell direction is from the southeast. A right hand reef break Best around mid tide when the tide is rising. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water. Watch out for urchins, rocks and locals.
Overall Cowries Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
This chart illustrates the variation of swells directed at Cowries through an average J... (show all text)
This image describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Cowries surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to NSW - Illawarra surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Cowries
Visitor Reviews of Cowries
Tide stations nearest to Cowries:
- Closest tide stationKiama7 mi
- Second closest tide stationBerkeley7 mi
- Third closest tide stationPort Kembla7 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationDapto7 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationWollongong11 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Cowries:
- Closest ski areaSelwyn Snowfields (Australia)165 mi
- Second closest ski areaPerisher (Australia)187 mi
- Third closest ski areaCharlotte Pass (Australia)192 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaThredbo (Australia)196 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaFalls Creek (Australia)257 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Cowries:
- Closest city locationWollongong (Australia)11 mi
- Second closest city locationNowra (Australia)26 mi
- Third closest city locationSydney International Airport (Australia)47 mi
- Fourth closest city locationMaroubra (Australia)48 mi
- Fifth closest city locationSydney (Australia)48 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Cowries is Camden Airport (CDU) in Australia, 63 km (39 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Cowries is Sydney Bankstown Airport (BWU), also in Australia, 74 km (46 miles) away.
- Third is Kingsford Smith International Airport (Sydney) Airport (SYD) in Australia, 76 km (47 miles) away.
- Richmond Airport (RCM) in Australia is 109 km (68 miles) away.
- Canberra Airport (CBR), also in Australia is the fifth nearest airport to Cowries and is 173 km (107 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Cowries, NSW - Illawarra. Use the tab navigation above to view Cowries sea temperature, Cowries photographs, Cowries detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Cowries webcams, current wind from NSW - Illawarra live weather stations and Cowries tide predictions. The Australia swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Australia and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Australia wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Cowries.