Coumeenole Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 14.7 °C
Coumeenole in County Kerry is an exposed beach break that has quite consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the northeast with some shelter here from north winds. Groundswells and windswells are equally likely and the ideal swell angle is from the southwest. Waves at the beach are both lefts and rights. Best around low tide when the tide is rising. Even when there are waves, it's not likley to be crowded. Hazards include wreck, rips.
Overall Coumeenole Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in September
The graph describes the variation of swells directed at Coumeenole through an average S... (show all text)
The rose diagram shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Coumeenole surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Kerry surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Coumeenole
Visitor Reviews of Coumeenole
“Coumeenole is located at the far Western tip of the Dingle Peninsular, below the scenic Slea Head Drive. There is parking very nearby, and in summer an excellent mobile coffee shop often parks above the beach. The area has become a very popular spot on sunny summer days but for the rest of the year you'd be unlucky to find crowds of surfers in the water.
Coumeenole is a picture perfect beach, one of the finest in Ireland, and the waves are up there too. Facing southwest and very exposed to any swell from that quarter Coumeenole is sheltered from northeast, north, northwest and to some degree, even westerly winds.
It is often surprising how much of a westerly swell gets in here because it looks like it should be mostly blocked by the Blasket Islands. Somehow enough gets through. A Westerly swell of just 1.8 m and 8 seconds is about the minimum that will produce surfable waves here, at about knee to waist high but if the same size swell comes from the SW or if a 3m swell comes from the west, it will be head-high and excellent.
This makes Coumeenole a very good bet on days when west winds accompany a small to moderate west swell - a very common situation in this part of Ireland, especially in Summer. At these times, Coumeenole can be pretty much the only surfable spot in the area because most spots in Dingle are blown out in westerly wind. In a northwest wind, the contrast is even greater - head-high onshore mush at Brandon Bay versus pristine little waves here and clean and flat as a tack at Inch Reef.
Expect to find some of the clearest water in Europe and plenty of harmless marine life. Low to mid tide dishes up very peaky waves that are very easy to get into. As the tide pushes up onto the bank at the back of the bay, the waves tend to get heavier and at high tide the close out is probably best left to spongeboarders who can get little cover-ups.
Although I have never surfed here when the waves are overhead, this must happen frequently outside of summer. I have no idea whether or not the break can handle very big winter swells, which must easily exceed 10 feet here, but I have it on good account that at 6 foot it is just fine.”
Rob Davies from NEW ZEALAND - 01 Aug 2010
Tide stations nearest to Coumeenole:
- Closest tide stationTra Li34 mi
- Second closest tide stationTalbert Island, River Shannon57 mi
- Third closest tide stationShannon77 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationCork86 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationCarrigaline90 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Coumeenole:
- Closest ski areaRaise (United Kingdom)351 mi
- Second closest ski areaAnother World Ski and Snowboard Centre (United Kingdom)375 mi
- Third closest ski areaYad Moss (United Kingdom)380 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaHarwood Common (United Kingdom)382 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaGlencoe Mountain Resort (United Kingdom)387 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Coumeenole:
- Closest city locationCork (Ireland)86 mi
- Second closest city locationLimerick (Ireland)87 mi
- Third closest city locationGalway (Ireland)100 mi
- Fourth closest city locationWaterford (Ireland)142 mi
- Fifth closest city locationTallaght (Ireland)190 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Coumeenole is Kerry Airport (KIR) in Ireland, 65 km (40 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Coumeenole is Shannon Airport (SNN), also in Ireland, 124 km (77 miles) away.
- Third is Cork Airport (ORK) in Ireland, 138 km (86 miles) away.
- Galway Airport (GWY) in Ireland is 168 km (104 miles) away.
- Connaught Airport (NOC), also in Ireland is the fifth nearest airport to Coumeenole and is 229 km (142 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Coumeenole, Kerry. Use the tab navigation above to view Coumeenole sea temperature, Coumeenole photographs, Coumeenole detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Coumeenole webcams, current wind from Kerry live weather stations and Coumeenole tide predictions. The Ireland swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Ireland and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Ireland wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Coumeenole.