Charleston Spot ID
Type: beach/River Bar
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell WSW | Wind ESE
Sea Temperature Today is: 12.2 °C
Charleston on the West Coast is a reasonably exposed beach/River Bar break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the east southeast. Windswells and groundswells in equal measure and the ideal swell angle is from the west southwest. The beach breaks are all lefts. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Unlikely to be too crowded, even when the surf is up. Take care of the strong rips here.
Overall Charleston Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in August
This image illustrates the variation of swells directed at Charleston over a normal Aug... (show all text)
The graph describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different direc... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Charleston surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to West Coast South Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Charleston
Tide stations nearest to Charleston:
- Closest tide stationWestport13 mi
- Second closest tide stationGreymouth39 mi
- Third closest tide stationHokitika River Bar62 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMapua97 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationMotueka98 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Charleston:
- Closest ski areaTemple Basin (New Zealand)71 mi
- Second closest ski areaRainbow (New Zealand)73 mi
- Third closest ski areaHanmer (New Zealand)82 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaCraigieburn (New Zealand)85 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaBroken River (New Zealand)86 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Charleston:
- Closest city locationNelson (New Zealand)104 mi
- Second closest city locationChristchurch (New Zealand)130 mi
- Third closest city locationBlenheim (New Zealand)132 mi
- Fourth closest city locationTimaru (New Zealand)173 mi
- Fifth closest city locationWellington (New Zealand)178 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Charleston is Westport Airport (WSZ) in New Zealand, 21 km (13 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Charleston is Hokitika Airport (HKK), also in New Zealand, 98 km (61 miles) away.
- Third is Nelson Airport (NSN) in New Zealand, 163 km (101 miles) away.
- Christchurch International Airport (CHC) in New Zealand is 198 km (123 miles) away.
- Woodbourne Airport (BHE), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Charleston and is 206 km (128 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Charleston, West Coast South Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Charleston sea temperature, Charleston photographs, Charleston detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Charleston webcams, current wind from West Coast South Island live weather stations and Charleston tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Charleston.