Charleston Spot ID
Type: beach/River Bar
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell WSW | Wind ESE
Sea Temperature Today is: 16.5 °C
Charleston on the West Coast is a reasonably exposed beach/River Bar break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the east southeast. Windswells and groundswells in equal measure and the ideal swell angle is from the west southwest. The beach breaks are all lefts. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Unlikely to be too crowded, even when the surf is up. Take care of the strong rips here.
Overall Charleston Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in April
This image describes the range of swells directed at Charleston through a typical April... (show all text)
The graph shows how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directions ... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Charleston surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to West Coast South Island surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Charleston
- The closest passenger airport to Charleston is Westport Airport (WSZ) in New Zealand, 21 km (13 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Charleston is Hokitika Airport (HKK), also in New Zealand, 98 km (61 miles) away.
- Third is Nelson Airport (NSN) in New Zealand, 163 km (101 miles) away.
- Christchurch International Airport (CHC) in New Zealand is 198 km (123 miles) away.
- Woodbourne Airport (BHE), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Charleston and is 206 km (128 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Charleston, West Coast South Island. Use the tab navigation above to view Charleston sea temperature, Charleston photographs, Charleston detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Charleston webcams, current wind from West Coast South Island live weather stations and Charleston tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Charleston.