Cardiff Reef Spot ID
Photo credit: Michael Milligan
Reliability: very consistent
Best: Swell WNW | Wind E
Sea Temperature Today is: 22.4 °C
Cardiff Reef in San Diego County is an exposed reef break that is usually a safe bet. Winter is the best time of year for surfing here. The best wind direction is from the east. Groundswells more frequent than windswells and the ideal swell angle is from the west northwest. Both left (best) and right reef breaks.. Good surf at all stages of the tide. Sometimes crowded. Watch out for crowds and rocks.
For Solana Beach, 8 km from Cardiff Reef.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Leucadia, 2 km from Cardiff Reef.
|light winds from the S|
At San Clemente Basin Buoy, 57 miles from Cardiff Reef.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||7||7||7||7|
Overall Cardiff Reef Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in August
This picture shows the combination of swells directed at Cardiff Reef through an averag... (show all text)
The figure illustrates how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directi... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Cardiff Reef surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - San Diego County surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Cardiff Reef
Visitor Reviews of Cardiff Reef
Tide stations nearest to Cardiff Reef:
- Closest tide stationSolana Beach5 mi
- Second closest tide stationCarlsbad7 mi
- Third closest tide stationOceanside11 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationLa Jolla, Scripps Pier14 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationCrown Point, Mission Bay20 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Cardiff Reef:
- Closest ski areaSnow Valley (United States)81 mi
- Second closest ski areaMt Baldy (United States)82 mi
- Third closest ski areaBig Bear Mountain (United States)85 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSnow Summit (United States)85 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaBear Mountain (United States)91 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Cardiff Reef:
- Closest city locationEncinitas (United States)2 mi
- Second closest city locationCarlsbad (United States)7 mi
- Third closest city locationSan Marcos (United States)10 mi
- Fourth closest city locationOceanside (United States)11 mi
- Fifth closest city locationVista (United States)11 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Cardiff Reef is Miramar Mcas Airport (NKX) in USA, 26 km (16 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Cardiff Reef is San Diego International Lindbergh Fld Airport (SAN), also in USA, 38 km (24 miles) away.
- Third is North Island Nas (San Diego) Airport (NZY) in USA, 41 km (25 miles) away.
- General Abelardo L Rodriguez International (Tijuana) Airport (TIJ) in Mexico is 65 km (40 miles) away.
- John Wayne Arpt Orange Co (Santa Ana) Airport (SNA) in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Cardiff Reef and is 86 km (53 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Cardiff Reef, CAL - San Diego County. Use the tab navigation above to view Cardiff Reef sea temperature, Cardiff Reef photographs, Cardiff Reef detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Cardiff Reef webcams, current wind from CAL - San Diego County live weather stations and Cardiff Reef tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Cardiff Reef.