Cape Paterson Spot ID
Type: beach and reef
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 13.7 °C
Cape Patterson on the East Coast is a sheltered reef break that has pretty consitent surf and can work at any time of the year. Offshore winds are from the north. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the southwest. The right reef break is best, but there is a left reef too.. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water. Take care to avoid the rocks.
Overall Cape Paterson Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in June
The figure describes the combination of swells directed at Cape Paterson through an ave... (show all text)
This chart shows how often and how strongly the wind blows from different directions ov... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Cape Paterson surf consistency graph.
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to VIC - East Coast surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Cape Paterson
Visitor Reviews of Cape Paterson
“Cape Paterson is a great place to go for a holiday. It is a hidden spot and only has about 300 properties. The first surf beach is the best for beginners and is safe and patrolled in summer. The second surf beach is good for body boarders and more experienced surfers. It's not really a swimming beach however, as there are large rips and undertow on bigger days. The channel is a shallow rocky reef break which offers about a 80 meter perfect wave on a good day. I wouldn't recommend a beginner heading out there as even experienced surfers have come to grief out there. It's quite tricky to get out, but there's a channel which can sometimes be used to get out. The channel is also quite fun to jump into and swim. The channel isn't really bodyboarders wave as you may find it quite difficult to snag one in amongst the surfers. At channel there's a left and a right. The left goes for about 40m but then dies off. It gets really shallow and many fins have been lost. The right is the way to go unless you're a professional, just make sure you get off the wave before it smashes you onto the rocks. There's another wave called insides that only breaks on massive swells. It's located at the first surf beach just in font of the rocks. It's a very dangerous wave, as it's only about 1 meter deeps, but it can offer a nice long tube ride. I've only really seen bodyboarders out the but the odd surfer heads out as well. There's also a bomby near insides which can get to about 10ft plus faces. Only one person surfs it and I've seen jet skiers playing out there. Other options to surf are, Eagles Nest, Shack Bay, Twin Reefs, The Oaks, The Caves and Inverloch also is a good little beach. Hope this was helpful. Source-Been going to Cape Paterson for 4 years and is one of the 300 to own a property.”
Tom from AUSTRALIA - 30 Apr 2015
Tide stations nearest to Cape Paterson:
- Closest tide stationPhillip Island24 mi
- Second closest tide stationWaratah Bay25 mi
- Third closest tide stationStony Point30 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationWesternport30 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationHastings35 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Cape Paterson:
- Closest ski areaMt Donna Buang67 mi
- Second closest ski areaMount Baw Baw68 mi
- Third closest ski areaMt St Gwinear70 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaLake Mountain83 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaMount Buller115 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Cape Paterson:
- Closest city locationCranbourne44 mi
- Second closest city locationFrankston East45 mi
- Third closest city locationGeelong73 mi
- Fourth closest city locationMelbourne73 mi
- Fifth closest city locationHoppers Crossing73 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Cape Paterson is Melbourne Moorabbin Airport (MBW) in Australia, 89 km (55 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Cape Paterson is Avalon Airport (AVV), also in Australia, 122 km (76 miles) away.
- Third is Melbourne Essendon Airport (MEB) in Australia, 122 km (76 miles) away.
- Melbourne International Airport (MEL) in Australia is 130 km (81 miles) away.
- Albury Airport (ABX), also in Australia is the fifth nearest airport to Cape Paterson and is 314 km (195 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Cape Paterson, VIC - East Coast. Use the tab navigation above to view Cape Paterson sea temperature, Cape Paterson photographs, Cape Paterson detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Cape Paterson webcams, current wind from VIC - East Coast live weather stations and Cape Paterson tide predictions. The Australia swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Australia and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Australia wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Cape Paterson.