Bolsa Chica Spot ID
Photo credit: Leland Berg
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 15.2 °C
Bolsa Chica,Surfside and Sunset Beaches in Orange County is a sheltered beach break that has reasonably consistent surf. Summer offers the favoured conditions for surfing. Offshore winds are from the northeast. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the southwest. The beach breaks offer lefts and rights. Sometimes crowded. Beware of rips, locals and pollution.
For Los Patos (highway bridge), California, 2 km from Bolsa Chica.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Huntington Beach, 3 km from Bolsa Chica.
|light winds from the SW|
At Santa Monica Basin Buoy, 58 miles from Bolsa Chica.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||19||19||12||19|
Overall Bolsa Chica Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in February
The graph illustrates the range of swells directed at Bolsa Chica through a typical Feb... (show all text)
The rose diagram describes how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different ... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Bolsa Chica surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - Orange County surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Bolsa Chica
Visitor Reviews of Bolsa Chica
“A small group of friends and I surf our kayaks at Bolsa Chica once or twice a week. We seldom have any trouble with the board surfers, as we're usually happy to inhabit the less prime areas. We like it because even on days with bad reports, we seem to be able to find a ride. Conditions can change quite a bit with the tide. Seems to close out when it gets bigger. Busy in the summer, but everyone seems to make room. Nice facilities and close to down town HB or Sunset Beach”
Mark from UNITED STATES - 07 Oct 2014
Tide stations nearest to Bolsa Chica:
- Closest tide station1 mi
- Second closest tide station4 mi
- Third closest tide station6 mi
- Fourth closest tide station8 mi
- Fifth closest tide station9 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Bolsa Chica,Surfside and Sunset Beaches is Long Beach Airport (LGB) in USA, 15 km (9 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Bolsa Chica,Surfside and Sunset Beaches is John Wayne Arpt Orange Co (Santa Ana) Airport (SNA), also in USA, 18 km (11 miles) away.
- Third is Tustin Mcaf Airport (NTK) in USA, 22 km (14 miles) away.
- Jack Northrop Fld Hawthorne Muni Airport (HHR) in USA is 35 km (22 miles) away.
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Bolsa Chica,Surfside and Sunset Beaches and is 42 km (26 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Bolsa Chica, CAL - Orange County. Use the tab navigation above to view Bolsa Chica sea temperature, Bolsa Chica photographs, Bolsa Chica detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Bolsa Chica webcams, current wind from CAL - Orange County live weather stations and Bolsa Chica tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Bolsa Chica.