Bay of Plenty Spot ID
Reliability: very consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind NE
Sea Temperature Today is: 29.9 °C
Bay of Plenty in Banyak Islands is an exposed reef break that has very consistent surf. May-Oct (Dry Season) is the best time of year for waves. Offshore winds are from the northeast. Tends to receive distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the southwest. The left hand reef break is better than the right.. The quality of the surf isn't affected by the tide. Even when there are waves, it's not likley to be crowded. Rocks are a hazard.
Overall Bay of Plenty Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in August
This chart illustrates the variation of swells directed at Bay of Plenty through an ave... (show all text)
This image describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Bay of Plenty surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Banyak Islands surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Bay of Plenty
Visitor Reviews of Bay of Plenty
“We were the first visitors to the new bungalows,no comment on that experience. I would recommend planning your trip from mid May on when the swell trains become more consistent,we were there in march of 2013 and the waves were on the smaller side.for the 10 days we were there.
GUNTERS: Diamond shaped reef break in front of the camp
Fast breaking right hander with great potential on larger swells.probably would have a few good tube sections and may break wider and go around the corner into the bay.Works all tides with finger coral bottom..booties are a must. Fun wave at 3-4 ft down the line with few cutback possibilities.
LOLOKS : Didn't turn on when we were there however would be the power wave of the bay picking up the brunt of the swell on the head of the bay. Some nasty coral blooms in sections ...experience required.
Bottom line. This is as remote as it gets and not a place to bring partners unless they surf of course.Like any planned trip the risk is timing of swell during the stay period. it is an adventure to get there and to get decent waves would make it a lifetime memory. Tip...If the swell isn't happening in the bay forget treasures go around the back of the point and cobra logs could be firing.....left hand reef break more open to picking up the SW swell direction.”
Gary from AUSTRALIA - 23 May 2014
Tide stations nearest to Bay of Plenty:
- Closest tide stationSinabang72 mi
- Second closest tide stationSibolga103 mi
- Third closest tide stationPangkalan Brandan150 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationBelawan155 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationTanjungtiram156 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Bay of Plenty:
- Closest ski areaAuli (India)2288 mi
- Second closest ski areaKufri (India)2411 mi
- Third closest ski areaManali (Himachal Heli-Ski) (India)2466 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSolang Valley Ropeway & Ski Centre (India)2469 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaGulmarg (India)2663 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Bay of Plenty:
- Closest city locationSibolga (Indonesia)103 mi
- Second closest city locationKabanjahe (Indonesia)108 mi
- Third closest city locationPematangsiantar (Indonesia)132 mi
- Fourth closest city locationBinjai (Indonesia)134 mi
- Fifth closest city locationDeli Tua (Indonesia)137 mi
- The nearest passenger airport to Bay of Plenty is Binaka (Gunung Sitoli) Airport (GNS) in Indonesia, which is 108 km (67 miles) away (directly).
- The second closest airport to Bay of Plenty is Polonia (Medan) Airport (MES), also in Indonesia, 223 km (139 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Bay of Plenty, Banyak Islands. Use the tab navigation above to view Bay of Plenty sea temperature, Bay of Plenty photographs, Bay of Plenty detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Bay of Plenty webcams, current wind from Banyak Islands live weather stations and Bay of Plenty tide predictions. The Indonesia swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Indonesia and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Indonesia wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Bay of Plenty.