Battery Beach Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SE | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 23.2 °C
Battery Beach in Durban is an exposed beach break that has fairly consistent surf. Winter is the best time of year for surfing here. Ideal winds are from the northwest. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the optimum swell angle is from the southeast. Waves at the beach break both left and right. It very rarely gets crowded here. Surfing here means negotiating dangerous rips.
Overall Battery Beach Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
The figure shows the variation of swells directed at Battery Beach over a normal July. ... (show all text)
This chart illustrates how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Battery Beach surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Durban/KZN South surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Battery Beach
Visitor Reviews of Battery Beach
Tide stations nearest to Battery Beach:
- Closest tide stationDurban3 mi
- Second closest tide stationBallitoville22 mi
- Third closest tide stationUmkomaas29 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMargate81 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationeSikhawini83 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Battery Beach:
- Closest ski areaAfri-Ski (Lesotho)156 mi
- Second closest ski areaTiffindell (South Africa)195 mi
- Third closest ski areaMatroosberg (South Africa)712 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaMount Hermon (Israel)4376 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSepidan Ski Resort (Iran (Islamic Republic of))4382 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Battery Beach:
- Closest city locationDurban (South Africa)4 mi
- Second closest city locationStanger (South Africa)37 mi
- Third closest city locationPietermaritzburg (South Africa)41 mi
- Fourth closest city locationZuma (South Africa)71 mi
- Fifth closest city locationMargate (South Africa)81 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Battery Beach is Virginia (Durban) Airport (VIR) in South Africa, 7 km (4 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Battery Beach is Durban International Airport (DUR), also in South Africa, 18 km (11 miles) away.
- Third is Pietermaritzburg Airport (PZB) in South Africa, 65 km (40 miles) away.
- Margate Airport (MGH) in South Africa is 133 km (83 miles) away.
- Richards Bay (Richard's Bay) Airport (RCB), also in South Africa is the fifth nearest airport to Battery Beach and is 158 km (98 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Battery Beach, Durban/KZN South. Use the tab navigation above to view Battery Beach sea temperature, Battery Beach photographs, Battery Beach detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Battery Beach webcams, current wind from Durban/KZN South live weather stations and Battery Beach tide predictions. The South Africa swell maps link will open up the big picture showing South Africa and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from South Africa wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Battery Beach.