Balapitiya Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell SW | Wind ENE
Sea Temperature Today is: 28.3 °C
Balapitiya in SW is an exposed reef break that has quite reliable surf. Summer offers the optimum conditions for surfing. Works best in offshore winds from the east northeast. Groundswells and windswells are equally likely and the best swell direction is from the southwest. The left reef break is best, but there is a right reef too.. Even when there are waves, it's not likley to be crowded. Take care of coral.
Overall Balapitiya Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in September
This image describes the range of swells directed at Balapitiya over a normal September... (show all text)
The graph shows how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different directions ... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Balapitiya surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to West surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Balapitiya
Tide stations nearest to Balapitiya:
- Closest tide stationBentota2 mi
- Second closest tide stationAmbalangoda16 mi
- Third closest tide stationPanadura20 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMoratuwa25 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationGalkissa29 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Balapitiya:
- Closest ski areaAuli (India)1668 mi
- Second closest ski areaKufri (India)1722 mi
- Third closest ski areaManali (Himachal Heli-Ski) (India)1795 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaSolang Valley Ropeway & Ski Centre (India)1798 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaGulmarg (India)1942 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Balapitiya:
- Closest city locationBentota (Sri Lanka)2 mi
- Second closest city locationBeruwala (Sri Lanka)2 mi
- Third closest city locationKalutara (Sri Lanka)10 mi
- Fourth closest city locationPanadura (Sri Lanka)20 mi
- Fifth closest city locationMoratuwa (Sri Lanka)25 mi
- The nearest passenger airport to Balapitiya is Colombo Ratmalana Airport (RML) in Sri Lanka, which is 44 km (27 miles) away (directly).
- The second closest airport to Balapitiya is Bandaranaike International (Colombo) Airport (CMB), also in Sri Lanka, 83 km (52 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Balapitiya, West. Use the tab navigation above to view Balapitiya sea temperature, Balapitiya photographs, Balapitiya detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Balapitiya webcams, current wind from West live weather stations and Balapitiya tide predictions. The Sri Lanka swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Sri Lanka and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Sri Lanka wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Balapitiya.