Backwash Spot ID
Reliability: very consistent
Best: Swell S | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 29.5 °C
Backwash in Golfo Dulce is a quite exposed point break that has very consistent surf The best wind direction is from the northwest. Clean groundswells prevail and the best swell direction is from the south. Even when there are waves, it's not likley to be crowded. Watch out for rips and rocks.
Overall Backwash Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in January
This chart shows the variation of swells directed at Backwash through an average Januar... (show all text)
This image illustrates how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Backwash surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Golfo Dulce surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Backwash
Ski Resorts closest to Backwash:
- The closest passenger airport to Backwash is Golfito Airport (GLF) in Costa Rica, 29 km (18 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Backwash is Coto 47 Airport (OTR), also in Costa Rica, 40 km (25 miles) away.
- Third is Palmar Sur Airport (PMZ) in Costa Rica, 63 km (39 miles) away.
- Enrique Malek International (David) Airport (DAV) in Panama is 93 km (58 miles) away.
- Cap Manuel Nino International (Changuinola) Airport (CHX), also in Panama is the fifth nearest airport to Backwash and is 143 km (89 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Backwash, Golfo Dulce. Use the tab navigation above to view Backwash sea temperature, Backwash photographs, Backwash detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Backwash webcams, current wind from Golfo Dulce live weather stations and Backwash tide predictions. The Costa Rica swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Costa Rica and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Costa Rica wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Backwash.