Backwash Spot ID
Reliability: very consistent
Best: Swell S | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 30.2 °C
Backwash in Golfo Dulce is a quite exposed point break that has very consistent surf The best wind direction is from the northwest. Clean groundswells prevail and the best swell direction is from the south. Even when there are waves, it's not likley to be crowded. Watch out for rips and rocks.
Overall Backwash Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in July
The figure illustrates the range of swells directed at Backwash over a normal July, bas... (show all text)
This chart describes how commonly and how strongly the wind blows from different direct... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Backwash surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Golfo Dulce surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Backwash
Visitor Reviews of Backwash
Tide stations nearest to Backwash:
- Closest tide stationGolfito17 mi
- Second closest tide stationPuerto Armuelles31 mi
- Third closest tide stationPedregal58 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationAlmirante86 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationBocas del Toro, Almirante Bay96 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Backwash:
- Closest ski areaHuascaran (Peru)1273 mi
- Second closest ski areaCloudmont (United States)1807 mi
- Third closest ski areaSky Valley (United States)1838 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaScaly Mountain (United States)1841 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSapphire Valley (United States)1846 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Backwash:
- Closest city locationDavid (Panama)58 mi
- Second closest city locationSan Isidro (Costa Rica)73 mi
- Third closest city locationParaiso (Costa Rica)106 mi
- Fourth closest city locationTurrialba (Costa Rica)106 mi
- Fifth closest city locationCartago (Costa Rica)110 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Backwash is Golfito Airport (GLF) in Costa Rica, 29 km (18 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Backwash is Coto 47 Airport (OTR), also in Costa Rica, 40 km (25 miles) away.
- Third is Palmar Sur Airport (PMZ) in Costa Rica, 63 km (39 miles) away.
- Enrique Malek International (David) Airport (DAV) in Panama is 93 km (58 miles) away.
- Cap Manuel Nino International (Changuinola) Airport (CHX), also in Panama is the fifth nearest airport to Backwash and is 143 km (89 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Backwash, Golfo Dulce. Use the tab navigation above to view Backwash sea temperature, Backwash photographs, Backwash detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Backwash webcams, current wind from Golfo Dulce live weather stations and Backwash tide predictions. The Costa Rica swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Costa Rica and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Costa Rica wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Backwash.