Back Strands Spot ID
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell W | Wind SE
Sea Temperature Today is: 14.9 °C
Back Strands in Sligo is a fairly exposed reef break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Offshore winds blow from the southeast. Tends to receive a mix of groundswells and windswells and the ideal swell direction is from the west. A right hand reef break. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water.
Overall Back Strands Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in September
This chart describes the variation of swells directed at Back Strands over a normal Sep... (show all text)
This image shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different directio... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Back Strands surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Sligo surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Back Strands
Tide stations nearest to Back Strands:
- Closest tide stationLondonderry60 mi
- Second closest tide stationWestport62 mi
- Third closest tide stationBun Cranncha63 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationGalway85 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationPortstewart87 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Back Strands:
- Closest ski areaGlencoe Mountain Resort (United Kingdom)208 mi
- Second closest ski areaNevis Range (United Kingdom)214 mi
- Third closest ski areaRaise (United Kingdom)219 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaYad Moss (United Kingdom)246 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaHarwood Common (United Kingdom)249 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Back Strands:
- Closest city locationDerry (United Kingdom)60 mi
- Second closest city locationLondonderry County Borough (United Kingdom)60 mi
- Third closest city locationLisburn (United Kingdom)73 mi
- Fourth closest city locationCraigavon (United Kingdom)85 mi
- Fifth closest city locationGalway (Ireland)85 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Back Strands is Sligo Airport (SXL) in Ireland, 20 km (12 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Back Strands is St Angelo (Enniskillen) Airport (ENK) in England, 54 km (34 miles) away.
- Third is Connaught Airport (NOC) in Ireland, 64 km (40 miles) away.
- Londonderry Eglinton Airport (LDY) in North Ireland is 107 km (66 miles) away.
- Galway Airport (GWY) in Ireland is the fifth nearest airport to Back Strands and is 131 km (81 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Back Strands, Sligo. Use the tab navigation above to view Back Strands sea temperature, Back Strands photographs, Back Strands detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Back Strands webcams, current wind from Sligo live weather stations and Back Strands tide predictions. The Ireland swell maps link will open up the big picture showing Ireland and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from Ireland wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Back Strands.