Avalon Pier Spot ID
Best: Swell NE | Wind W
Sea Temperature Today is: 14.9 °C
Avalon Pier in North Carolina is an exposed beach/Jetty break that has consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Works best in offshore winds from the west. Most of the surf here comes from groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the northeast. Waves at the beach are mainly rights. It's often crowded here.
For Kill Devil Hills, 2 km from Avalon Pier.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Kill Devil Hills Airport, 3 km from Avalon Pier.
|light winds from the N|
At Virginia Beach Buoy, 61 miles from Avalon Pier.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||7||7||7||6|
Overall Avalon Pier Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in November
The graph illustrates the combination of swells directed at Avalon Pier through a typic... (show all text)
The rose diagram describes how often and how strongly the wind blows from different dir... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Avalon Pier surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Carolina North surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Avalon Pier
Visitor Reviews of Avalon Pier
“I'm not much of a fisherman, pretty simple process I was glad. Rods are set up just rent em and buy some bait. Spent 1.5 hours with 4 lines in late Sept caught 2 croakers. Still it was fun for kids.
Things I didn't like - old lady behind counter was a little grumpy. I told her I didn't have a clue what I was doing she seemed a little put out. Also when you go in there's a giant arcade and pool tables etc. No problem just didn't fit my preconceived, romantic notion of a fishing pier. Lost a bottom rig, a $3 fee however I only had a credit card and there is a $10 minimum charge (even though I already just paid $50 for everything else) so I had to buy $7 worth of stuff I didn't want or need.”
groovyman from UNITED STATES - 12 Oct 2011
Tide stations nearest to Avalon Pier:
- Closest tide stationKill Devil Hills1 mi
- Second closest tide stationKitty Hawk (ocean)4 mi
- Third closest tide stationDuck Pier, outside11 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationFRF Pier, Duck11 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationJennette's Pier11 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Avalon Pier:
- Closest ski areaWintergreen Resort (United States)218 mi
- Second closest ski areaMassanutten (United States)237 mi
- Third closest ski areaBryce Resort (United States)254 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaThe Homestead Ski Area (United States)266 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaSki Liberty (United States)273 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Avalon Pier:
- Closest city locationVirginia Beach (United States)58 mi
- Second closest city locationChesapeake (United States)64 mi
- Third closest city locationNorfolk (United States)65 mi
- Fourth closest city locationPortsmouth (United States)65 mi
- Fifth closest city locationPortsmouth Heights (United States)66 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Avalon Pier is Elizabeth City Cgas Rgnl Airport (ECG) in USA, 51 km (32 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Avalon Pier is Oceana Nas Airport (NTU), also in USA, 92 km (57 miles) away.
- Third is Norfolk International Airport (ORF) in USA, 105 km (65 miles) away.
- Norfolk Ns Airport (NGU) in USA is 113 km (70 miles) away.
- Langley Afb (Hampton) Airport (LFI), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Avalon Pier and is 131 km (81 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Avalon Pier, Carolina North. Use the tab navigation above to view Avalon Pier sea temperature, Avalon Pier photographs, Avalon Pier detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Avalon Pier webcams, current wind from Carolina North live weather stations and Avalon Pier tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Avalon Pier.