Asilomar Spot ID
Type: beach and reef
Best: Swell W | Wind SE
Sea Temperature Today is: 18.6 °C
Asilomar in Monterey is an exposed beach and reef break that has consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. Ideal winds are from the southeast. Waves just as likely from local windswells as from distant groundswells and the ideal swell direction is from the west. Waves at the beach break both left and right together with both left and right hand reef breaks offshore.. Good surf at all stages of the tide. When the surf is up, it can get quite busy in the water. Hazards include rocks and sharks.
For Monterey, Monterey Harbor, California, 5 km from Asilomar.
|NEXT||IS AT (local time)||remaining|
At Pacific Grove, 2 km from Asilomar.
At Monterey Buoy, 28 miles from Asilomar.
|Data Age||4 hr||3 hr||2 hr||1 hr|
|Wave height (m)||
|Dominant period (s)||15||15||14||15|
Overall Asilomar Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in August
The graph describes the variation of swells directed at Asilomar through an average Aug... (show all text)
The rose diagram shows how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different di... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Asilomar surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to CAL - Monterey surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Asilomar
Tide stations nearest to Asilomar:
- Closest tide stationMonterey, Monterey Harbor3 mi
- Second closest tide stationCarmel Cove, Carmel Bay7 mi
- Third closest tide stationMarina9 mi
- Fourth closest tide stationMoss Landing14 mi
- Fifth closest tide stationElkhorn Slough, Highway 1 Bridge15 mi
Ski Resorts closest to Asilomar:
- Closest ski areaBadger Pass Ski Area (United States)144 mi
- Second closest ski areaDodge Ridge (United States)154 mi
- Third closest ski areaChina Peak Mountain Resort (United States)159 mi
- Fourth closest ski areaBear Valley (United States)165 mi
- Fifth closest ski areaMammoth Mountain (United States)175 mi
Town and city forecasts close to Asilomar:
- Closest city locationMonterey (United States)4 mi
- Second closest city locationSeaside (United States)5 mi
- Third closest city locationSalinas (United States)15 mi
- Fourth closest city locationWatsonville (United States)22 mi
- Fifth closest city locationSanta Cruz (United States)24 mi
- The closest passenger airport to Asilomar is Norman Y Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC) in USA, 82 km (51 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Asilomar is Moffett Federal Afld (Mountain View) Airport (NUQ), also in USA, 88 km (55 miles) away.
- Third is San Francisco International Airport (SFO) in USA, 117 km (73 miles) away.
- Metropolitan Oakland International Airport (OAK) in USA is 124 km (77 miles) away.
- Modesto City Co Harry Sham Airport (MOD), also in USA is the fifth nearest airport to Asilomar and is 141 km (88 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Asilomar, CAL - Monterey. Use the tab navigation above to view Asilomar sea temperature, Asilomar photographs, Asilomar detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Asilomar webcams, current wind from CAL - Monterey live weather stations and Asilomar tide predictions. The United States swell maps link will open up the big picture showing United States and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from United States wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Asilomar.