Aropaonui Spot ID
Photo credit: HAMISH MCMILLAN
Reliability: fairly consistent
Best: Swell ESE | Wind NW
Sea Temperature Today is: 12.9 °C
Aropaonui in Hawkes Bay is an exposed reef break that has fairly consistent surf and can work at any time of the year. The best wind direction is from the northwest. Groundswells more frequent than windswells and the ideal swell angle is from the east northeast. A reef breaks left. Best around mid tide. Rarely crowded here. Surfing here means negotiating dangerous rips.
Overall Aropaonui Surf Consistency and Wind Distribution in September
This chart illustrates the variation of swells directed at Aropaonui through a typical ... (show all text)
This image describes how frequently and how strongly the wind blows from different dire... (show all text)
The two graphs above are also combined in the single Aropaonui surf consistency graph.
Surf photos from
|Contours:||Roads & Rivers:||Select a surf spot from the menu|
Use this relief map to navigate to Hawkes Bay surf spots and tide stations that are in the area of Aropaonui
- The closest passenger airport to Aropaonui is Taupo Airport (TUO) in New Zealand, 99 km (61 miles) away (directly).
- The second nearest airport to Aropaonui is Gisborne Airport (GIS), also in New Zealand, 109 km (68 miles) away.
- Third is Rotorua Airport (ROT) in New Zealand, 143 km (89 miles) away.
- Whakatane Airport (WHK) in New Zealand is 152 km (94 miles) away.
- Palmerston North Airport (PMR), also in New Zealand is the fifth nearest airport to Aropaonui and is 165 km (102 miles) away.
This is the Surf-Forecast page for Aropaonui, Hawkes Bay. Use the tab navigation above to view Aropaonui sea temperature, Aropaonui photographs, Aropaonui detailed swell predictions, wind and weather forecasts, Aropaonui webcams, current wind from Hawkes Bay live weather stations and Aropaonui tide predictions. The New Zealand swell maps link will open up the big picture showing New Zealand and the surrounding seas. These swell maps can be animated to show the different swell components, wave energy, wave period, wave heights, together with wind and weather forecasts, current weather and sea state observations from New Zealand wave-buoys, passing ships and coastal weather stations. Each of the forecast pages for this surf break feature a global and regional wavefinder tool to locate the best surf conditions in the area around Aropaonui.